The Speaker of Parliament Rt. Hon. Prof. Mike Oquaye has defended President Akufo Addo’s slow reaction for the United Nation’s call for LGBTQ rights, saying the President was gathering the view of his fellow Ghanaians before speaking on the issue.
According to the Speaker, President Akufo Addo’s strong Christian values will not permit him to support rights for LGBTQ.
“I know the President of the Republic of Ghana, I’ve known him since 1964 and closely. You don’t need to tell me about him I have my own personal knowledge about the President. When this matter came from the United Nation people thought it had been accepted by the President. If a President, the highest man of the land immediately comes out and says as for this place no, it will look like ooh it’s the President of Ghana who’s saying it.
He added: “I want to discuss this at this forum…it takes a different turn but everybody heard what men and women of God and cultural people were saying in Ghana. The President made a statement both at a Muslim forum and Christian forum that he’ll not support such a thing.”
Rt. Hon. Prof. Oquaye was speaking at the Speaker’s Prayer Breakfast meeting held in Accra on Wednesday.

0 Comments